Helping people with computers... one answer at a time.

The mouse pointer can typically be hidden via a setting in the mouse settings in control panel. The actual text cursor or 'caret' cannot be hidden.

Is there a way to make the cursor disappear while I type?

It depends on which cursor.

The mouse pointer (which is often appears as a cursor) is typically controlled by the mouse settings in control panel. Exactly how varies depending on the manufacturer of your mouse, but for example on my machine (with a Microsoft Bluetooth wireless mouse) it's in Control Panel, Mouse,

Pointer Options tab. In there is a checkbox for Hide pointer while typing.

I've not been able to find an option to make the system cursor (also known as a caret) disappear while typing.

Article C2031 - June 13, 2004 « »

Leo Leo A. Notenboom has been playing with computers since he was required to take a programming class in 1976. An 18 year career as a programmer at Microsoft soon followed. After "retiring" in 2001, Leo started Ask Leo! in 2003 as a place for answers to common computer and technical questions. More about Leo.

Not what you needed?

November 26, 2004 12:21 PM

is there any free software that is usable to make yr own mouse cursor , any help would be great ,thanx.

April 11, 2005 11:29 AM

I cannot recall how to make the cursor disappear when I am typing. I believe there is a control panel or preference setting somewhere for this, but I have forgotten where is is. Can you point me to the place where these settings can be made?

January 18, 2006 5:20 PM

everitime i write the cursor dissapears and i have to click it back to start typing again. How can i fix it???

February 2, 2006 3:33 PM

go to control pannel then printers and other hardware then mouse then it will open up a window on
mouse properties then click on the pointer options tab and the seecond line from the bottom will be hide pointer while typing and check it

February 20, 2006 7:45 PM

i want to no how to sent an email to some one and once they read it it disapears

February 20, 2006 9:06 PM

No way that I know of. Once you send it, it's out of your control.

October 10, 2006 12:42 AM

hi, i was looking at this persons myspace pics, and whenever i rolled the mouse over them, the pics turned into the mirrored version of that pic. it just turns from right to left, and i wanted to know how i can do that with my pics?

thanks for anything. :)

Comments on this entry are closed.

If you have a question, start by using the search box up at the top of the page - there's a very good chance that your question has already been answered on Ask Leo!.

If you don't find your answer, head out to to ask your question.